Amadalam known as the 'Matterhorn of the Himalaya', the overwhelming, ice-coated granite pyramid of Ama Dablam (6,856m/22,494ft) dominates the sky above the trekker's trail to the Everest Base Camp. The 30-day Ama Dablam Expedition begins in Kathmandu with sightseeing of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Next, we fly to Lukla and begin trekking. We trek in the beautiful Everest trail before beginning our summit of Ama Dablam.
The standard ascent to Ama Dablam is made via the South-Western Ridge, the same route followed by Ward (UK), Bishop (USA) and Gill (NZ) in the first ascent of the mountain in 1961. The route offers a varied and sustained climb with a reasonable level of difficulty. Three high camps are set up at strategic points. The climb is moderate up to Camp 1, then it gets challenging up along the narrow granite ridge. Negotiating pitches of steep ice and snow slopes, the route gets more technical from Camp 2. From Camp 3, skirt around the hanging glacier or the Dablam, cross snow arete (a sharp ridge) and bergschrund (a gap or crevasse at the edge) between ice cliffs and scale the summit. After scaling the summit, we return back to base camp.
Day 1 Arrival in Kathmandu.
Day 2 Kathmandu: Sightseeing and trip preparation
Day 3 Fly to Luklathen trek to Phakding.
Day 4 Phakding to Namche Bazaar.
Day 5 Namche Bazaar (acclimatization)
Day 6 Namche Bazaar to Debuche
Day 7 Debuche to Pheriche.
Day 8 Acclimatization
Day 9 Pheriche to Ama Dablam Base Camp.
Day 10 Acclimatization and Pre-climb training at Ama Dablam Base Camp
Day 11-25 Acclimatization and Pre-climb training at Ama Dablam Base Camp
Day 26-27 Trek to Lukla
Day 28 Fly back to Kathmandu
Day 29 Leisure day in Kathmandu
- Airport pickups and drops in a private vehicle
- 3-star hotel accommodation in Kathmandu with breakfast
- Teahouse accommodation during the trek
- Tented accommodation during the climb
- All meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) during the trek and climb
- Welcome and farewell dinners
- All ground transportation in a comfortable private vehicle as per the itinerary
- Domestic flights (Kathmandu- Lukla -Kathmandu)
- English-speaking trained and experienced trekking guide, climbing guide and assistant guides
- Porter service (2 trekkers: 1 porter)
- Staff costs including their salary, insurance, equipment, domestic airfare, food, and accommodation
- Down jacket and sleeping bag (to be returned after trip completion)Trekking bag/duffel bag, t-shirt, and trekking map are yours to take.
- All necessary paperwork; trekking permits and Ama Dablam climbing permit
- Good quality tents and kitchen utensils for camping
- Group mountaineering (climbing) equipment(s)
- Medical kit (carried by your guide)
- All government and local taxes