Dolpo region is situated on the Tibetan plateau and the Dhaulagiri ranges. The entire district was closed to trekkers until 1989 when the southern part of Dolpo was opened to organized trekking groups. Our trekking adventure begins with tours of UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Kathmandu. We then fly to Nepalgunj and then to Juphal from where we begin our trek in the Dolpo region which was made famous by Peter Matthiessen’s book - The Snow Leopard. Nepal’s first English subtitled movie on Dolpo, The Caravan, was also a huge success and was also nominated for the Oscar Award in the best foreign language film category. On our 28-day trek, we pass through interesting villages, trekking routes and meet fascinating people. We also cross a few high Himalayan passes and enjoy the vast and tranquil beauty of Phoksundo Lake. From Shey Gompa, we follow the ancient Trans Himalayan Trade route and return back to Jhuphal as our trek ends. The trek indeed takes us into the wild west of Nepal.
Day 1 Arrival in Kathmandu.
Day 2 Kathmandu: sightseeing and trek preparation
Day 3 Fly from Kathmandu to Nepalgunj.
Day 4 Fly from Nepalgunj to Jhuphal (Dolpo) and trek to Dunai.
Day 5 Dunai to Ankhe.
Day 6 Ankhe to Sulighat.
Day 7 Sulighat to Phoksundo Lake.
Day 8 Acclimatization and rest at Phoksundo Lake
Day 9 Trek to Phoksundo Khola.
Day 10 Phoksunds Khola to Phoksundo Bhanjyang.
Day 11 Phoksundo Bhanjyang to Shey Gompa.
Day 12 Acclimatization and rest at Shey Gompa
Day 13 Shey Gompa to Namduna Gaun.
Day 14 Namduna Gaun to Saldang.
Day 15 Saldang to Yangze Gompa.
Day 16 Yangze Gompa to Sibu.
Day 17 Sibu to Jeng-la Phedi.
Day 18 Jeng-la Phedi to Tokyu Gaon.
Day 19 Tokyu to Dho Tarap.
Day 20 Rest Day at Dho Tarap
Day 21 Dho Tarap to Tarap Khola.
Day 22 Tarap Khola to Khanigaon.
Day 23 Khanigaon to Tarakot.
Day 24 Tarakot to Dunai.
Day 25 Dunai to Jhuphal.
Day 26 Fly from Jhuphal to Nepalgunj and then to Kathmandu
Day 27 Rest day in Kathmandu
Day 28 Final departure
- Airport pickups and drops in a private vehicle
- 3-star hotel accommodation in Kathmandu with breakfast
- Teahouse accommodation during the trek
- All meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) during the trek
- Welcome and farewell dinners
- All ground transportation on a comfortable private vehicle as per the itinerary
- Domestic flights (Kathmandu- Nepalgunj -Jhupal round trip)
- Guided city tour in Kathmandu by private vehicle
- Entrance fees for sightseeing/monument visits as per the itinerary
- An experienced, English-speaking and government-licensed trek Guide and assistant trek Guide (4 trekkers: 1 assistant guide)
- Porter service (2 trekkers: 1 porter)
- Staff costs including their salary, insurance, equipment, domestic airfare, food and accommodation
- Down jacket and sleeping bag (to be returned after trip completion)
- Trekking bag/duffel bag, t-shirt and trekking map are yours to take
- All necessary paperwork and trekking permits (National Park Permit, TIMS)
- Medical kit (carried by your trek Guide)
- All government and local taxes